One of the ways homeowners show they care about their property is by making sure that their roof is in great condition all the time. Your roof plays a huge role in keeping you and your home protected, after all, so ensuring its well-being is necessary. However, there will come a time when a roof has simply run its course. It is important to know when this time is as it will help you determine when you’ll be needing roof replacement.
Roof Replacement: When Do You Need One?
Replacing roofs only crosses the mind of most homeowners once the first signs of leaks appear. However, roof leaks can be caused by different roofing problems and basing your decision to replace your roof solely on leaks may not be enough. Read on to know what you should be looking for.
The National Roofing Contractors Association suggests that you have your roof inspected at least twice a year, in the spring and fall. The best place to begin is from the inside of your home. You’ll know that it’s time to call a professional when you see the following signs:
● Sagging roof deck
● Water stains
● Dark spots and trails
● Outside light showing through the roof
Spotting the signs of roof failure after an interior check means that your roof does have problems that have to be addressed. However, that might not necessarily mean just yet that you’re due for a replacement. You’ll know for sure after a professional carries out an exterior check for you and the following signs were found:
● Curled, blistered, buckled, cracked, torn, bald, or missing shingles
● Damaged flashing
● Loose or worn roofing material around chimneys, pipes, vents, and other penetrations
● Excessive amount of shingle granules in the gutters
● Signs of rot and mold growth
● Sagging or loose gutters and downspouts
After a thorough inspection, taking into account both the results of an interior and exterior check, your roofing contractor should be able to tell you if you need a replacement or not.
Benefits of Getting a New Roof
Told you have to replace your roof? Here are the primary benefits you can expect when you get new roofing:
● Safety and protection. A damaged roof loses its ability to protect your home from the elements. By getting a new roof, you are assured that your home is safe for longer.
● Warranty. When you hire a certified contractor to perform roof replacement, you get a brand-new set of manufacturer and craftsmanship warranties guaranteeing product and installation quality for your peace of mind.
● Energy efficiency and maintenance ease. A new roof improves insulation in your home, making it more energy efficient. A new roof also means a new beginning, which gives you the opportunity to come up with a maintenance plan more easily and protect your investment.
In Part 2, we’ll be taking a closer look at gutters and how you can maintain and protect your gutter system. Stay tuned!